Thursday, March 22, 2012

What is the 32 Day Challenge?


As a piano teacher I've heard a huge variety of reasons why practice wasn't done during the week.  "I was too busy" is the most popular one.  Kids are busier than ever.  I remember as a student having the same challenge and often I didn’t find the time, nor make the time.  And based on how I did with my practice, I would arrive at my teacher’s house with either enthusiasm or dread.  

Life is full of wonderful activities that tick tock away the time I have in a day.  Lesson preparation, teaching, paperwork, Facebook, emails, television, texting, blogging, as well as the other necessary daily things I do like showering, getting Ava ready for preschool, preparing meals, doing laundry, grocery shopping, talking to my husband, and taking care of baby Dakota. I really shouldn’t have any extra time. 

Over scheduling can clog up my time and make me feel like I’m not in control.  But I have a choice.  I can either let life drag me around by my hair or I can learn to say “no” or “not now” or “maybe later”. 

The 32 Day Challenge is a commitment to do something consistently for 32 days.  It can be anything.  I've been taking guitar lessons since Jan (2012) and I committed to 32 days of practice which I've completed.   Since then I've moved on to the 100 day challenge.  Today I'm on day 54. 

What’s the magic behind 32 days?  The brain develops a new neurological pathway that causes your body to think the activity is completely normal and expected.  After doing a little research on this, I found Jack Canfield (Chicken Soup for the Soul) uses a 30 day challenge in his work to maximize a person's full potential.  30 days or 32 days?  Does it matter? 

What happens if a piano student practices his/her piano consistently for 32 days?  Does a new neurological pathway in the brain that makes piano practice a normal everyday activity have the power to shift a person’s relationship with music?  The piano?  His/her own musicality?  We're going to find out...  Many of my students are either committing to the 32 day challenge or have moved on to the 100 day challenge.  Here's our poster board:

Since completing my own 32 day challenge, I can honestly say that my body will not let me NOT practice guitar.  Or at least not let me forget that I didn’t practice.  I missed one day and the following day it bugged me!  I had this subtle, but nagging sensation to get it done.  And how it’s affecting my relationship to music is something I’m continuing to explore… more on this later.

What is something that's important to you or for you that you have wanted to make a consistent part of your life?  Are you up for the 32 day challenge? 

No comments:

Post a Comment