Sunday, March 25, 2012

Being Musical

Why is it such a pleasure to make music?  As I was having my guitar lesson on Friday morning, my teacher and I were playing 3 chords - D C and G.  We started with a little finger picking and then moved into a nice steady strumming rhythm.  There was a point when it felt like meditation.  A point when I didn't have to think about what I was playing, I simply allowed my body to be it's musical self.  And it was beyond "fun".  Fun is such a funny word.  Was my strumming giving me the giggles?  Not really.  It was giving me a sense of freedom, but also a sense of connecting to my self and to the other player.  I absolutely loved it.  

When introducing someone to the Simply Music program, I love talking about how we are all innately musical.  Being musical is such a part of who we naturally are.  Here's a wonderful video with Neil Moore (the founder of Simply Music) talking about musicality and the simplicity with which a student gets to immediately experience himself/herself as a musician.  Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhpIdijE0zw&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment