Monday, April 30, 2012

Please move me to tears...

I'm not opposed to crying at all.  In fact, I've been known to cry while listening to "The Winner Takes it All", watching Hallmark commercials, hearing a friend share a personal tragedy, seeing a squirrel get hit by a car, looking into my daughter's eyes after I've scolded her, saying goodbye to my parents after a long visit and the list goes on and on.  I've been told that I'm a sensitive person.  And I've told myself that since I was really young.


As a teenager, sad music was something I learned to create to reflect my endless introspection. I took free reign over simple chord progressions laced with minor and suspended chords and threw in some surprising dynamic choices.  I was sitting behind the controls of the roller coaster and my riders (my peers mostly) thought the emotional ups and downs were fantastic.


Emotional music can be pleasing for some and unnerving for others.  Occasionally when I'm teaching a song in a minor key to a student, it becomes apparent that the student cannot handle the piece.  Not because it's too difficult, but because it's too sad.  I've had a couple students walk out of the room when I play a sad song and still others have cried.  I wonder if this has something to do with the vibration of a particular note and it's affect on our bodies and brains is largely due to our bodies being roughly 70% water.  Sound can transform water.  Energy vibrations can transform water.  (Interesting read, "Messages in Water" by Masaru Emoto).


I'm not a scientist and I cannot easily articulate my thoughts around this phenomenon, but I do know that Adele's "Someone Like You" brings me to a place of sadness surrounding past relationships, makes me go inward, makes me tear up and yet, I want to listen to it again.  And again... the pain is pleasurable.


Here's an interesting article about the mystery behind sad music.



www.mnn.com
Researchers examine how the hit 'Someone Like You' evokes an emotional response that keeps us coming back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment